Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 6 & 7: Jerusalem, adventures in the unholy city

Finding myself back in Tel Aviv with sore red feet and throbbing limbs. Yesterday I left for Jerusalem. Knowing then I didn't have a camera, but was willing to give the city a reflective glance that I could not capture. I have survived a week in Israel, and now longer than a week alone. Still trying to understand the word alone. Osnat keeps worrying that she will not get married and end up alone. Questions exist here that I don't believe penetrate the states, like what will the fathers think. I never thought love could be so dictated... by age, religion, etc.

Last night I stayed with a boy, Elia and his room mates in Jerusalem. They lived near Mt. Scopus at Hebrew University. It was a relief to be with students and to have a feeling you weren't being taken for your money or tourist looks. I went to a concert with Elia and his friends. After a day in Jerusalem following the path of Jesus and his Roman conquerers, I was more than happy to catch a bus out of the city center, Merkaz.

Still... I keep asking myself, what is it that draws the strangest people to me? The old man, Hiam from the bus that kept rubbing his elbow against my chest and asking me to travel in Israel with him. I had never been so happy to get off a bus. Sliding out of my seat and onto the street with a quick good-bye and not even a second to check the map. I never realized how big Jerusalem is, although I walked the same streets often without knowing it.

When I escaped from the apartment this morning, after almost being locked inside, I passed the holy mosques. I keep thinking about Israel... peace and war. War crimes. Crime existing in conjunction with war. The constant threat and fear that drives a state to militarize itself. To become the stronghold for the Middle East. Erasing the fear of the call to prayer at sunset. Passing settlements. Wearing a cross and feeling protestant without knowing the rituals of Christianity or the holy books.

As I meet more people, I know that peace in Israel is not possible. At least not any time soon. And it's strange because in Hafia and Jerusalem there are so many moments fixed with graffiti that prove the Arab world is here. All makes me think of the Jewish terrorist that was arrested today. He is accused of killing both Palestinians and attempted murder of Israelis, although I think all were Arab. He justifies it with God and his mission. Even worse or more expected, he is from the states, from Brooklyn. Radicalism prevails in all forms.

Today was spent passing time. I watched a lot of hours turn into the next. Less than a week left. Tomorrow I'm going to Yaffo to stay with my friend Anna. I like the apartment here, but it will be a nice change. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself once I'm back at Hampshire. I wish I didn't have to go back. Too many tattered memories and shattered.

I need to sleep.

Most beautiful girl in the room vs. Cute girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment