Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 13: Cold Seas & New Chapters

Back from Elat. A long night at a new bar in Elat with Avi, Shakar, and his girlfriend Mai. I fell asleep without thinking once back at Shakar's apartment. A friend of Avi's band played at the bar. I don't think they played until midnight.

Elat is so cold at night. The city reminds me of a Florida knockoff. And is filled with roundabouts. No stoplights, except one flashing monument to remind drivers of the days of traffic monitoring red, yellow, and green lights. Today Avi and I went to the nature reserve on the beach and snorkeled. The Red Sea was so cold. I kept swimming and hoping my body would adjust to the water. It never did. Still there were amazing fish and pockets of coral. A school of tiny translucent fish swam above me and the sunlight caught each one of their bodies. Filling the sea with rainbows...small swimming rainbows. My lips were blue for hours. The shower at the beach didn't help much. One of those showers with the chain you pull and hold for water. My hair is matted and tangled.

After we ate at the Falafel Boutique, "best falafel in all of Elat." Since 1970. The man was an artisan. I heard his father owned the shop before him. All just in time for the 5 o' clock bus back to Tel Aviv. The 5 hour bus ride. That drives through what seems like no where and every once in a while stops to pick up riders, and I wonder where they come from. Only desert... for miles or kilometers. Once you pass through the mountains the world seems to flatten. You look out and clusters of lights are off in the distance. Mostly kibutzim, I think.

Tel Aviv's central bus station was desolate. The bus got in a little after 10:00 or 22:00. I made the always time consuming decision of taking the number 5 bus. Making its way through all of Tel Aviv city center. Finally, after nearly an hour I was back at the Arlozorov bus station. A short walk back to Katrien's and a bowl of pasta with tuna and eggs.

Shula is sitting on my lap. After visiting the cities of Israel, I realize that outside of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem security isn't as intense. Most stores don't check bags. The airport in Elat is in the middle of the city and there's no guard at the bus station riffle through your things.

Israelis are very on top of their American television. I have learned some interesting things about hash. I now know why my body used to tingle and feel immobile when I spoked. Never buy hash for kiosks. I can't believe I'm leaving tomorrow. I definitely have gained some strength here.

Picking up the pieces of myself. I know I'm coming back a better stronger person. A person that had to keep moving. A desire to not be alone and kept me from thrusting myself into a busy intersection. You start to see life for how painful and wonderful it can be and usually is. I don't know if any of my questions about Israel were answered, but I learned some things. I met new people. Made new friends. Walked through days with Israelis and old friends.

Tomorrow I fly back to the states. It's funny because I don't think anyone believes that's where I'm from. Always asking, "Anglia?"

Now the challenge of facing the past again and retelling the end to a relationship. Although, hopefully not too many more times. At least I have nothing bad to say. I'm not angry. I know I could be, but I don't want to be... you have to believe things in life happen with some order or purpose. I'm starting to realize what my father says about new chapters. I tried to figure out how many I have waded through, sometimes struggling. My number is 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment